Extractor Pin Moves - RTB/CMMG Dedicated

All things rimfire and AR pattern related

Moderator: Quiet22

Mr Mayonnaise

Extractor Pin Moves - RTB/CMMG Dedicated

Post by Mr Mayonnaise »

Hi Guys,

Brand new to 22 lr AR-15s but very familiar with 556 ARs. Just got a dedicated 22 lr upper from Right To Bear and I noticed that what I assume is extractor pin moves up and down while I cycle the gun by hand. I tried searching for this online but got nothing. I also contacted RTB support and they said that I would need to pay for shipping for them in inspect it. If it fails inspection they would refund the shipping cost and replace the BCG.

As this would likely take a week at minimum (or more likely multiple weeks), is this something I should be worried about or is that a normal occurrence?

Thanks
Mr Mayonnaise

Re: Extractor Pin Moves - RTB/CMMG Dedicated

Post by Mr Mayonnaise »

Took it out today and this "issue" presented no problem at all.

Gun cycled great with Norma 40gr Consistent Velocity (1083fps) and Norma 40gr High Performance Target (1100fps). It ran Winchester 40gr Super X (1280fps) bulk pack okay but the flat hollow point nose did cause ~4 failure to feeds. Seems like this upper really prefers round noses.

I also shot some CCI Quiet-22 40gr segmented hollow points (710fps). They had enough power to extract and feed the next round but did not reset the trigger. There was actually one instance where I had a CCI round in the chamber and a Winchester bulk pack next in the magazine. The CCI fired just fine but the hammer must have rode the bolt forward which resulted in the Winchester round going off before fully in the chamber. The case ruptured with a VERY loud pop and, upon inspection, only the forward half of the case remained in the chamber (the rear half turned to shrapnel that I could not find anywhere.

Is this something anyone else has experienced? The upper has a 16" barrel.
zukiphile

Post by zukiphile »

Mr Mayonnaise wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:27 am I noticed that what I assume is extractor pin moves up and down while I cycle the gun by hand.
If the pin that holds the extractor weren't to move up and down, you wouldn't be able to remove it for cleaning. When assembled, that pin is held in the bolt by the frame rail.
Mr Mayonnaise wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:58 pm I also shot some CCI Quiet-22 40gr segmented hollow points (710fps). They had enough power to extract and feed the next round but did not reset the trigger. There was actually one instance where I had a CCI round in the chamber and a Winchester bulk pack next in the magazine. The CCI fired just fine but the hammer must have rode the bolt forward which resulted in the Winchester round going off before fully in the chamber. The case ruptured with a VERY loud pop and, upon inspection, only the forward half of the case remained in the chamber (the rear half turned to shrapnel that I could not find anywhere.

Is this something anyone else has experienced? The upper has a 16" barrel.
The hammer is riding the bolt forward because the ammunition isn't getting the hammer far enough back to reset. What you are experiencing is a normal limitation of rimfire in an RTB bolt carrier group. You can decrease the resistance of the hammer spring by using a lighter spring, but even them CCI Quiet may not properly cycled the action. That's an extremely anemic round.
Mr Mayonnaise

Post by Mr Mayonnaise »

If the pin that holds the extractor weren't to move up and down, you wouldn't be able to remove it for cleaning. When assembled, that pin is held in the bolt by the frame rail.
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. That's kind of what I figured and why I took it shooting without sending it back to RTB.
The hammer is riding the bolt forward because the ammunition isn't getting the hammer far enough back to reset. What you are experiencing is a normal limitation of rimfire in an RTB bolt carrier group. You can decrease the resistance of the hammer spring by using a lighter spring, but even them CCI Quiet may not properly cycled the action. That's an extremely anemic round.
Thanks for the heads up. I have decided that I will only use the CCI Quiet in my bolt action or Beretta 21a (have yet to test in that gun but I assume it will cycle as the slide and spring are quite light). I will most likely continue to use the Norma ammo I mentioned before but the price is kind of high for 22lr (20cents a round in my area). Do you know of an affordable bulk pack ammo that is ~1100 fps? The Winchester Super X that is was using comes out of the 16" barrel supersonic. I would prefer to shoot a round that is subsonic so as not to make my wife and daughter need to wear hearing protection while on hikes. I will be doing the vast majority of the shooting suppressed.
zukiphile

Post by zukiphile »

Mr Mayonnaise wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:49 pmI have decided that I will only use the CCI Quiet in my bolt action or Beretta 21a (have yet to test in that gun but I assume it will cycle as the slide and spring are quite light).
The 21a also has a very short barrel. Some rounds that work out of rifles won't cycle my 5.5 inch Ruger pistol.
Mr Mayonnaise wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:49 pmDo you know of an affordable bulk pack ammo that is ~1100 fps?
I get good accuracy and function my CMMG barrels from Aguila SV, which I believe is advertised at 1083 fps. I have some 20 year old Remington Subsonic that is quiet enough but cycles very energetically. Its accuracy is not outstanding though.
BoreBuddy
Site Admin

Post by BoreBuddy »

Try the federal suppressor ammo. 975fps or so with a 45gr bullet.