Great Shortage of 2020: What are you loading?

Reloading, Casting, etc

Moderator: Renaissanceman

Renaissanceman

Great Shortage of 2020: What are you loading?

Post by Renaissanceman »

Any handloaders out there as happy as I am that I was all set up before the ammo shortage? If you haven't started, no time like the present!

I am currently loving loading for 300 blk -- cast bullets can be had pretty cheap, and you can make sub loads with almost any powder that's faster than 1680. Some cycle, some don't, but it's cheap plinking fun regardless! What are you loading these days?
DsrtScott

Re: Great Shortage of 2020: What are you loading?

Post by DsrtScott »

I've been loading 223 for p-dog shooting, 50 & 55 gr Vmax, Varmageddon and Dogtown bullets. Getting ready for a trip to brother in laws up in North Dakota later this month. Also been loading 32 H&R/32 S&W long for plinking. I really like the 32's. Probably start a batch of 45ACP for pin shooting this fall.
Fortunately I have been stocking up regularly for the last 10 years so I have enough to reload for a while.
Renaissanceman

Post by Renaissanceman »

The 53gr v-max is one of the best 22 caliber projectiles, IMHO. When I load 223, I typically load 53gr vmax, 55 gr FMJ or 75gr Hornandy HPBT match. I bought a large shipment of Shooter's world powders right before the component crunch, and I can't get my "typical" powders, so I'm re-working all my 223 loads to use Shooter's World Match Rifle and Tactical Rifle.

45 ACP is a joy to load with cast, just choose a powder and go. You can't really make a bad load -- unlike 9mm which is very finicky with cast.
mvintx

Post by mvintx »

Fortunately I learned from the reloading component shortage of the Obama years and laid in a good supply for the future.

I've been casting for my 9 and 40 pistols...trying to find a decent performing load. 9 has been frustrating but 40 looks promising in my Glock 23. Hope to load the same bullet in my 10mm pistols next.
mvintx

Post by mvintx »

Renaissanceman wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:34 pm The 53gr v-max is one of the best 22 caliber projectiles, IMHO. When I load 223, I typically load 53gr vmax, 55 gr FMJ or 75gr Hornandy HPBT match. I bought a large shipment of Shooter's world powders right before the component crunch, and I can't get my "typical" powders, so I'm re-working all my 223 loads to use Shooter's World Match Rifle and Tactical Rifle.

45 ACP is a joy to load with cast, just choose a powder and go. You can't really make a bad load -- unlike 9mm which is very finicky with cast.
I tried Shooters World match rifle in my .223 service rifle and while it does OK at 200 yds, it falls on it's face beyond that. It's a decent powder for the short line but I'll have to stick with AA 2520 for longer ranges. I'm using the Nosler 77 grain competition and Hornady 80 ELDMs bullets.