Buffer Plugs not staying locked

Product support and suggestions and all other things related to BoreBuddy products

Moderator: Renaissanceman

Kit

Buffer Plugs not staying locked

Post by Kit »

I have 2 CMMG kits and shoot a fair amount of good quality copper plated HV (1200-1300fps) 22lr in the 36 to 40 grain range through multiple AR15 set ups. Bought the pressure plugs and charging handle inserts a months ago and used them for the first time recently. The charging handle inserts are great and significantly reduce gas to the face. The pressure plugs seem to work good also. Only 1 jam in 250 rounds across 2 different pistols and it was my fault when I tested just how fast I could pull the trigger. Note here, it was awful fast to finally cause the jam.

One issue with the plugs happened with both plugs in 2 different pistols. The pistols are 10.5 and 11.5, both have H2 buffers on 6 adjustment rifle length buffer tubes, 1 is an Aero and 1 is an Anderson/PSA. I read the plug installation instructions and was careful to install as described, locking them into the appropriate notched area on the buffer pins. Both times when I was finished and opened the receivers to take out the conversion items, the plugs were not in the locked position on the buffer retainer pins. With the Anderson/PSA it was spun out of place however there was also some scratches on the plugs rounded side. With the Aero not only was it spun out of place, it was spring loaded and shot out of the tube a couple feet when I opened it, however the plug was not at all scratched. Both times operation was great and exceeded expectations however I'm wondering why I had the issue of the plugs spinning out of the locked position. Is stuff like this normal? Maybe pistol or buffer system related? I know the 22lr converter doesn't use the AR 15 buffer so I'm not sure what it is. I should also mention with the Aero I've had abnormal buffer face scratching which I first noticed after using the CMMG kit and this was what led to the plug purchases. This might not have been the issue however the plugs seemed like a good place to start and they appear to be a good measure of prevention. I have found some other people that had similar buffer wear issues from regular AR15 use and one theory is that an off-set buffer pin allowing the buffer to move forward about 1/8" is the fix. Most people that posted responses said it happens, no big deal, just live with it and move on. Still thinking on that.

Anyone else experience this plug movement issue or have an idea of why it's happening?
Renaissanceman

Re: Buffer Plugs not staying locked

Post by Renaissanceman »

Plug movement is pretty normal since spinning it into place causes some degree of spring loading (twisting). I'd suggest spinning the buffer plug 1/4 to 1/2 turn past the notch, and then back to the notch. This is also recommended in the instructions which can be found here:
https://borebuddy.com/wp-content/upload ... Rev1.3.pdf
Kit

Re: Buffer Plugs not staying locked

Post by Kit »

I'm going to reread the instructions you sent the link for. I've tried a few different things and every time I use it in pistols with heavier springs and buffers it comes popping out when I open the receivers. When I use it on a rifle with a regular spring and buffer it stays in place. Just finished a rifle project with a heavier spring and buffer however I haven't tried any 22 yet. Going to use the CMMG bolt and plug this week and see what happens. I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if the plug shoots out as long as it does what it's supposed to when it's all closed up. That said, chasing a flying plug across the range floor doesn't instill much confidence in those around your of your firearms prowess.