buffer butt tension plug

All things rimfire and AR pattern related

Moderator: Quiet22

Dingo

buffer butt tension plug

Post by Dingo »

We need a plug that threads into the receiver extension. Sure there are plugs that exist but none of them are designed to put tension against the .22bcg.
Maybe something with a wave washer/polymer tip that puts just enough pressure to accomplish what the Bore Buddy plug does. If this ‘concept plug’ had an integrated 1913 rail, even better.
Just thinking out loud here. Any thoughts?
robertey

Re: buffer butt tension plug

Post by robertey »

Before the forums were up I emailed them from the contact info link on the webpage with some questions and they responded right back. I'm sure they're monitoring the forums here as well, it's God to see someone innovating and making stuff in the US.

I've been thinking of getting a 3D printer and tinkering with some things but haven't had time.

There's plans up on Thingiverse for a picatinny stock adapter you could modify pretty easily. Mods, please remove link if not allowed.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4250320
Quiet22

Post by Quiet22 »

Very Interesting Idea! Ill let the Boss Man know, he should be on tomorrow :) Thank you for your input!
Radiks2718

Post by Radiks2718 »

Dingo wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:51 am We need a plug that threads into the receiver extension. Sure there are plugs that exist but none of them are designed to put tension against the .22bcg.
Maybe something with a wave washer/polymer tip that puts just enough pressure to accomplish what the Bore Buddy plug does. If this ‘concept plug’ had an integrated 1913 rail, even better.
Just thinking out loud here. Any thoughts?
I have the Sig buffer tube adapter with the integrated 1913 rail. I'm using a garden hose washer as a spacer to put tension on the bcg. Depending on your tolerances, you may need to trim the washer thickness a touch.
BoreBuddy
Site Admin

Post by BoreBuddy »

We'll see if we can find a bit of time to draw that up this upcoming week -- we can direct print and chase the threads for a quick prototype. If a couple of you want to test them, we'll probably give a couple away for the cost of shipping!
Mike_AK

Post by Mike_AK »

Just use a regular buffer and spring and put one of the BoreBuddy plugs between the buffer and the BCG. It puts plenty of spring tension on the BCG to hold it in place, yet it still has a little give to soak up some of the hit from the bolt.
9x19

Post by 9x19 »

I thought they were talking about setting up a receiver without the extension, like the S&W 15-22 pistols.

Mike_AK

Post by Mike_AK »

The OP said he was looking for something to thread into the receiver extension. "Receiver extension" is the standard nomenclature for "buffer tube."
zukiphile

Post by zukiphile »

I also thought what the OP was really getting at was a pistol plug that threads into the receiver using the threads available for the extension. Otherwise, the request for 1913 rail doesn't make sense.

I once saw a solid receiver extension for a carbine, but I don't know who made it. If the regular buffer tubes weren't so affordable, a special tube might make sense economically. It just seems too easy to stuff junk in the existing extension.
Renaissanceman

Post by Renaissanceman »

I took it as well to mean a plug for a pistol build.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

So very pleased to see the new buffer adapter. This is exactly what i was describing. Although i do think some type of spring pressure to keep that BCG solid could be incorporated into the design.
Anyway, soo feeakin’ stoked to see BoreBuddy listening to suggestions. Lov’ you guys.
Have a good holiday everyone.
BoreBuddy
Site Admin

Post by BoreBuddy »

No need for a spring -- you just thread the buffer piece in or out to adjust tension on the 22lr BCG before tightening down the bolt that connects the plate to plug. We'll make an instructions for it soon, possibly a video.
Michael95472

Post by Michael95472 »

Old thread but I have a question. Does the cmmg conversion bcg rest against the buffer retaining pin that pokes up from the bottom?
Was given a spikes plug but there is an obvious gap between plug and bcg. Maybe it’s missing a spring. Any ideas or should I just get bore buddies if they are in stock.
Renaissanceman

Post by Renaissanceman »

No, it rests against the lower receiver above the buffer tube. A plug keeps the 22lr BCG from impacting against that area so hard. Adding a buffer to the BCG also helps.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Spring pressure would make for easier take-downs. We dont want to loosen and tighten an allen head bolt everytime. Especially when a 1911 adapter with brace/stock is attached.
Renaissanceman

Post by Renaissanceman »

The pressure plug does use spring tension, no allen bolts involved whatsoever.
Kit

Related: buffer butt tension plug

Post by Kit »

I have an idea related to this topic and I'm looking for advice a/o feedback.

I'm giving serious thought to a dedicated 22lr pistol using an AR15 pistol lower with no buffer tube, a pistol plug screwed in, and no brace. Just like the picture posted by 9x19 in this thread back in Sept 2020. Basically I would convert an AR15 556 pistol with a brace into an AR15-22 pistol with no brace and use the CMMG 22lr conversion bolt/ramp in the AR15 upper that has a 5.56 barrel.

With the comments in this thread I'm not sure about going without the buffer tube and being able to maintain the pressure on the 22lr conversion bolt/ramp I can now using the bore buddy inserted buffer pressure plug. Can the pistol plugs be used reliably with the CMMG 22lr conversion bolt/ramp? The other option is to go with pistol buffer tube however reducing overall length and having something compact is one of my goals.

The other thing is the gas block and tube that's in place on the barrel and upper. If I plan to run it as a dedicated blow back 22, why have the AR15 gas system that collects dirt and probably destroys the gas tube. Pretty sure removing the gas block and leaving the gas port in the barrel open is a bad idea. I once had a gas block off set a little and the AR15 wouldn't cycle. It was a single shot AR15 that had to be manually charged after each shot to remove the empty shell case and load the new live round. That has me thinking I could do the same thing on purpose to close up the gas port and remove the tube. Would shifting the gas block to cover the gas port and then clamping it back down to cover the gas port hole in the barrel be feasible/reliable for long term use? Is there a better way to close up a gas port I don't know about? Solder might work but that would be fairly permanent and I'd rather not ruin the hole.

This could be seen as a wasting an AR15, some might use words like neuter or devolve. That said, I like shooting 22 and I have other AR15 options. If the conversion I'm describing is viable for long term use, it would be a lot less expensive to do it with parts I have rather than buying new 22 parts and essentially building the same thing.

Thoughts, ideas, advice? Open ears hereI have an idea related to this topic and I'm looking for advice a/o feedback.
Renaissanceman

Post by Renaissanceman »

Although you will probably be happier long term with a dedicated barrel, there is no issue with using what you have. You can flip the gas block around backwards to block the gas port, and I'd suggest using our folding stock adapter instead of the plug. We have a QD mount option for the back that will give you a sling attachment point rather than a rail for stock/brace attachment.

Those two parts are here:
https://borebuddy.com/product/22ar-fold ... k-adapter/
https://borebuddy.com/product/qd-mount/