Trigger Thread

All things rimfire and AR pattern related

Moderator: Quiet22

Mike_AK

Trigger Thread

Post by Mike_AK »

Any interest in starting a thread on what triggers folks are using, what works and what does not? I'll start out. I initially tried a Timney Targa 2-stage trigger. The pull was excellent, however, the hammer is tall enough it was hitting the "bridge" on the front of the ABW (one of the early brass ones) and eventually broke it off. I switched to a Geissele SSA with a Wolff reduced power trigger return spring and a Geissele SSA-E disconnector spring and it is pretty much perfect IMO. It is very crisp with a total pull weight just a tad over 3lbs.
Renaissanceman

Re: Trigger Thread

Post by Renaissanceman »

I use a LaRue MBT-2S in my dedicated rimfire lower, and it works great. The hammer is a bit lighter than mil-spec, which seems to extend the life of stock CMMG firing pins slightly beyond the 1-2k rounds that I've found to be pretty typical. I have other lowers with mil spec triggers, I don't really like them, but they get the job done. My favorite trigger is the Geissele SSA-E, but that one is pricey and lives in my nice 223 wylde rifle. I use it with the rimfire uppers occasionally, and it works wonderfully. I don't like the amount of 22lr crud that gets deposited in my "nice" lower, though.
zukiphile

Post by zukiphile »

One combination I've not tried but interests me is a Hiperfire EDT with a reduced power hammer spring. I've never found an EDT at a sufficiently attractive price, but I understand it to have a very smooth pull.
Keencheefoonee

Post by Keencheefoonee »

LaRue MBT-2S in my dedicated rimfire lower with heavy hammer spring. I like the heavy spring feel better.
9x19

Post by 9x19 »

I have six dedicated RF lowers.

Three have LaRue MBT2S with standard hammer springs (they all have TacSol uppers)

One has PSA Nickel Boron 2 stage (it has a CMMG upper)

Two have BCM's Polished Nickel Trigger (PNT) with JP Ent. light hammer springs (they both have CMMG uppers)

To my tastes they rank in the order listed above.

I forgot, my Kriss Defiance also has a BCM PNT, with a Kaw Valley light hammer spring... better than the stock trigger.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Im using the yellow springs with no issues. The rest is all basic betch mil-spec componets.
Renaissanceman

Post by Renaissanceman »

Keencheefoonee wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:48 pm LaRue MBT-2S in my dedicated rimfire lower with heavy hammer spring. I like the heavy spring feel better.
I started with the light spring, but found the reset to be spongy and not have the "bounce" needed for rapid shots. The heavy trigger spring mostly alleviated that -- still not quite as good at the SSA-E in my opinion, but for the price, it is hard to beat.
robertey

Post by robertey »

ALG Quality Mil Spec (QMS) and Advanced Combat Trigger (ACT) both run fine in stock BCM lowers and a suppressed 18" Beyer barreled 22LR upper. Overall it's been as reliable as a stock 22 rifle.

Completing a 4.5 inch barreled 22LR upper (waiting on SBR engraving) and ordered the bolt weight and buffer kit to test with both to tweak things.
Quiet22

Post by Quiet22 »

I Run a Flat Bow Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger (SD3G) w/ the 6lbs return spring.. the reset is insanely fast as it feels almost assisted at 6lbs.. they claim its a 2 stage, but it feels like a single and wow is it fast! its decent at distance, better than mil-spec, but there are better options for accuracy..if you want one of the fastest lock times and lightning splits, the SD3G is for you! Cheers!
rybern

Post by rybern »

I prefer a single stage trigger and I have CMC triggers in most of my other AR's but I had a Hiperfire 243G laying around. It installed with the heavy springs(which provided the lightest pull. It has worked well and breaks about 3-1/2 lbs.
frankzr2

Post by frankzr2 »

Started my AR22 build with a random mil spec trigger and then tried a lower with a HiperFire Competion.
Purchased and installed one myself and after a few K rounds I can say it works very well. At about 2.5lbs with a nice reset and near zero pretravel I'm one happy camper.

Frank
zukiphile

Post by zukiphile »

frankzr2 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:34 am Started my AR22 build with a random mil spec trigger and then tried a lower with a HiperFire Competion.
Purchased and installed one myself and after a few K rounds I can say it works very well. At about 2.5lbs with a nice reset and near zero pretravel I'm one happy camper.

Frank
I'm fascinated by this choice and that you have a few thousand rounds through with it. Is this all on a single firing pin?

I had a Hiperfire when they were the new thing. It wasn't to my taste, but it is an extremely energetic hammer, and those toggle springs might have enough energy to slow bolt speeds.
mvintx

Post by mvintx »

Gun #1 has a Geissele service rifle trigger installed in a Spikes Tactical lower. Mated to a CMMG bolt and 20" barreled upper. Bore Buddy stainless steel weight and recoil buffer installed. No problems.

Gun #2 has a Rock RIver national match trigger installed in a Polymer80 lower. Mated to a CMMG bolt and 4-1/2" barrel. Runs fine without the stainless steel weight. Will not reset the hammer with the weight installed.
Rimfirerifle

Post by Rimfirerifle »

I am using a POF full auto drop in cartridge trigger in my M16A1, CMMG 8 inch .22 upper, Mask HD silencer, CCI standard velocity is the ammo of choice. The CMMG ani-bounce weight split in half on the last range trip (about 8K rounds on it) and they are currently out of stock. :( Full auto is a no go without the anti bounce weight, so...thanks to BoreBuddies,it is up and running again. I installed the custom anti bounce weight set up with the steel inserts. Added bonus: it has reduced the cyclic rate some. Thanks for a great product!
TheM1DoesMyTalking

Post by TheM1DoesMyTalking »

AR22 #1 Aero Precision mil-spec trigger. Works fine, nothing to write home about. Lower: Aero Precision. Upper: PSA 16" .22 LR 1:16 nitride barrel 13.5" M-LOK upper w/ phosphate bolt.

AR22 #2 BCM PNT trigger. I prefer the BCM PNT's 5 lbs 0.7 oz pull over a mil-spec trigger. Lower: Aero Precision. Upper: PSA 16" .22 LR 1:16 nitride barrel lightweight 13.5" M-LOK w/ stainless bolt.

Both rifles have great accuracy with CCI Standard Velocity. Reliability is about 95% so I'm researching which BoreBuddy parts I'm going to try first to get that as close to 100% as possible.
FictionalDave

Post by FictionalDave »

AR22 4.5" dedicated CMMG Barrel and BCG: I have ran a CMC single stage 3.5lb and a Franklin Arms Binary Gen III. Only issue I have is both triggers sheer firing pins every 300 rounds or so. Currently testing the Bore Buddy Premium firing pin.

AR22 17" dedicated CMMG Barrel and BCG: Currently running a Lantec single state 3.5lb (made by CMC and rebranded). Only issue I have is it sheers firing pins every 300 rounds or so. Currently 250 rounds into a Bore Buddy Premium firing pin.